TTEngine is an AmigaOS/MorphOS library (named ttengine.library) for rendering high
quality text using TrueType fonts. TTEngine is based on FreeType2 project. It is not a plain straightforward FreeType
port however. TTEngine has many additional functionality implemented, so it may be considered a higher
level font rendering and management library on top of FreeType rasterizing engine. Currently supported
platforms are: AmigaOS 3/68k, AmigaOS 4/PowerPC and MorphOS/PowerPC. Here are key
features of TTEngine:
- Renders strings (not only single glyphs) with kerning.
- Has string metrics calculation functions.
- Renders to any RastPort in a system friendly manner (JAM1, JAM2, INVERSVID, COMPLEMENT modes
- Works with OCS/ECS/AGA graphics chipsets as well as with graphics cards under CyberGraphX or
Picasso96 control (all AGA modes supported including HAM and A2024)
- Optional antialiased text on 16 and 24 bit screens.
- User configurable antialias settings separately for every font face.
- Antialiasing with user adjustable gamma correction.
- Optional text transparency (adjusted in 256 steps) on 16 and 24 bit screens.
- Supports many 8-bit character encodings and 16/32-bit Unicode standard.
- Has efficient, system-wide glyph bitmap caching system.
- Allows for text pixmap extraction for further processing.
- Font database allows for flexible font files storage and classification. TTEManager
is GUI based tool for managing the database.
- Application Programmer Interface highly compatible with graphics.library.
- For some 16/24/32-bit pixelformats, TTEngine renders directly via DoHookClipRects() call, achieving
speed of 210 000 characters per second (*). Currently supported direct mode is BGRA32.
(*) Measured with speed test included in example programs in TTEngine archive, on Pegasos II
equipped with PowerPC G4 1.0 GHz and Radeon 9200SE, with Arial font, JAM1 mode without antialiasing.
TTEngine is used by following programs:
- fxPAINT - paint and image processing package (commercial),
- Hollywood - multimedia authoring platform (shareware),
- PerfectPaint - paint and image processing package (freeware),
- AmiStart - 'start menu' on Workbench (freeware),
- ViewISO - ISO-8859 charsets viewer (freeware).